Narrative Designer - Job Description
We’re looking for a narrative designer that would help us finish our game Among Ripples: Shallow Waters. You would work closely together with the creative director and the rest of the team to create our eco management sim game. We’ve established a basic overarching narrative, key elements for the story and some interaction, now we need you to help us make it a cohesive whole. We recently signed a deal with the British game publisher Curve Games.
At our studio we have a generalist approach to most areas of game development due to our size, so you would be doing both narrative design and game writing. We are fully aware that these are not the same thing, but we’re still a smaller studio with many hats! This is a full-time position on-site here in Visby.
Eat Create Sleep is a game studio that exists in the medieval city of Visby on the island of Gotland, which is part of Sweden. We’ve been around since 2014 and are now working on our third game, eco management sim Among Ripples: Shallow Waters, we’ve also done work for hire for major partners. Our focus is on innovative gameplay experiences with a lot of heart and meaningful themes. We ask tough questions with our games and let the player explore the answers.
We’re a team of several nationalities and value work-life balance. Our office is situated on the outskirts of Visby in an area close to the woods, birds and even a nature reserve.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the creative director to design the overarching themes and structure.
- Oversee all aspects of the game narrative from developing the plot and associated delivery mechanics to implementation and localisation.
- Participate in prototyping and testing efforts to prove-out narrative gameplay systems, story beats, pacing and comprehension
- Create and maintain design documents to share ideas, concepts, and design specifications in helpful, clear formats
- Sync with the game designer and creative director so that the mechanics and the story never disassociate (too much).
- Studied game development (or related field) or worked in the game industry for at least two years.
- Have experience with game writing and designing narrative mechanics.
- Excellent skills in English, written and spoken.
We explicitly encourage applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. The application needs to be sent before 15th July, 2022. We want you to include a personal letter, a CV and links to any game projects you’ve worked on (professional or hobby). If you get further in the recruitment process we will let you do a paid remote work test that will not take longer than a day (8 hours). You can send your application to: email@example.com.